Social networking, back in your hands
Follow friends and discover new ones among more than 2.2M people. Publish anything you want: links, pictures, text, video. All on a platform that is community-owned and ad-free.
Mastodon isn’t just a website, it is a federation—think Star Trek. Thousands of independent communities running Mastodon form a coherent network, where while every planet is different, being part of one is being part of the whole.
Mastodon comes with effective anti-abuse tools to help protect yourself. Thanks to the network's spread out and independent nature there are more moderators who you can approach for personal help, and servers with strict codes of conduct.
Sharing your thoughts has never been more convenient
You have 500 characters. You can adjust the thumbnails of your pictures with focal points. You can use custom emojis, hide things behind spoiler warnings and choose who sees a given post. Messed it up? You can delete & redraft for quick corrections.
Mastodon for the individual
Without an incentive to sell you things, Mastodon allows you to consume content you enjoy uninterrupted. Your feed is chronological, ad-free and non-algorithmic—you decide who you want to see!
Since we do not serve ads and we do not sell data we rely on your support. If you like you can donate to help us out a little. Currently our total costs are about €95/a month for the servers and media storage.
The server admin is @stux. Our moderators are:
Code of Conduct
The following guidelines are not a legal document, and final interpretation is up to the administration of mastodon.social; they are here to provide you with an insight into our content moderation policies:
- The following types of content will be removed from the public timeline:
- Excessive advertising
- Uncurated news bots posting from third-party news sources
- Untagged nudity, pornography and sexually explicit content, including artistic depictions
- Untagged gore and extremely graphic violence, including artistic depictions
- The following types of content will be removed from the public timeline, and may result in account suspension and revocation of access to the service:
- Racism or advocation of racism
- Sexism or advocation of sexism
- Casteism or advocation of casteism
- Discrimination against gender and sexual minorities, or advocation thereof
- Xenophobic and/or violent nationalism
- The following types of content are explicitly disallowed and will result in revocation of access to the service:
- Sexual depictions of children
- Content illegal in Germany and/or France, such as holocaust denial or Nazi symbolism
- Conduct promoting the ideology of National Socialism
- Any conduct intended to stalk or harass other users, or to impede other users from utilizing the service, or to degrade the performance of the service, or to harass other users, or to incite other users to perform any of the aforementioned actions, is also disallowed, and subject to punishment up to and including revocation of access to the service. This includes, but is not limited to, the following behaviors:
- Continuing to engage in conversation with a user that has specifically has requested for said engagement with that user to cease and desist may be considered harassment, regardless of platform-specific privacy tools employed.
- Aggregating, posting, and/or disseminating a person's demographic, personal, or private data without express permission (informally called doxing or dropping dox) may be considered harassment.
- Inciting users to engage another user in continued interaction or discussion after a user has requested for said engagement with that user to cease and desist (informally called brigading or dogpiling) may be considered harassment.
These provisions notwithstanding, the administration of the service reserves the right to revoke any user's access permissions, at any time, for any reason, except as limited by law.
"Cross-posting" is the automatic copying of posts from one platform to another. That definition does not include the simultaneous posting to multiple platforms from the same app, such as Twidere or PostyBirb. If you use those apps, we consider those posts original, and the following need not apply.
Cross-posting from Mastodon to other platforms is fully permitted. Cross-posting into Mastodon from another platform is permitted under the following terms:
- The posts do not include platform-specific references, e.g. talking about "here" meaning Twitter, or including text from other non-Mastodon users verbatim (e.g. cross-posted quote tweets)
- The account is at least semi-regularly monitored by the author, so that interactions from Mastodon users are not ignored
- The account being cross-posted is owned by the same person. Third-party copying of content is not permitted