New people, welcome to Mastodon and the Fediverse!
Here's how to get started:
2. Find out your Mastodon/Fediverse address so you can share it with friends (https://mstdn.social/@feditips/107248252715651564)
3. Invite people to join you on here by telling them to go to https://joinmastodon.org and click on "Get Started". It doesn't matter if they join a different server because the servers talk to each other (here's a bit more of an explanation https://mstdn.social/@feditips/107021461185874594)
4. Find out what the Fediverse is (https://mstdn.social/@feditips/107044096139091624)
5. Find out why Mastodon being on so many different servers/instances is a really good thing (https://mstdn.social/@feditips/107083735491993183)
6. If you see anything nasty, you can report it to your friendly server admin (https://mstdn.social/@feditips/106540152842368591)
7. You can (sort of) verify your account if you own a website (https://mstdn.social/@feditips/106274105538953001)
If you have any questions, @ me or DM me!
8. If you're blind or partially sighted, there's a guide specifically for screen reader users at https://www.starshipchangeling.net/mastodon
9. There is no overall owner of Mastodon, it's a collection of thousands of independent servers each with their own owner and set of rules.
10. There are no venture capitalists or cryptocurrencies or tokens or coins or web3 or NFTs or anything like that on Mastodon. Servers are entirely owned and paid for by their admins, and they rely on donations to keep going. Please be nice to them, they're doing you a favour by building this lovely corner of the internet.
16. Write something about yourself in your profile and add a picture. You don't have to use a real name or photo, call yourself whatever you want and use any picture you want.
17. Write an introductory post about yourself and give it the hashtag #Introductions, so that people can say hello to you
18. Make sure you use hashtags in public posts so they can be discovered more easily. Most searches on Mastodon depend on hashtags.
19. Posts on Mastodon are also known as "toots" (because that's the noise an elephant makes, and the Mastodon is an ancient ancestor of the elephant 🐘 ), while retweets here are "boosts".