I see that more and more (climate) activist groups are using #Telegram. I worry about this. Please read why:
- Telegram groups are not end-to-end encrypted.
- Meta-data: Telegram can see who are a group member.
- Although they say the messages are encrypted on their servers (with a home-made encryption protocol), they are the ones having the keys, so in theory they can also see what’s said in the group.
- There are examples of groups that were deleted by Telegram. Although these where ISIS and criminal groups, remember that Telegram has the power to do this.
- You can only sign-up with your phone number.
- Only the Telegram clients (apps) are open source, not the code they use on their servers.
- Telegram is founded, owned and funded by the Russian billionaire Pavel Durov. Although he’s anti-Putin, he’s a (American style) libertarian and of course a capitalist.
Please find something better folks!
If YouTube existed in the 1800s, they'd ban content criticizing slavery
If they existed in the early 1900s, they'd ban content discussing evolution
YouTube is an aggressive defender of the status quo and against free inquiry
Why Masks Work BETTER Than You'd Think
This video is about how masks (whether surgical, or N95, or cloth) are counterintuitive and actually work much better epidemiologically than one might expect. Masks do double-duty, and the fraction of interactions with masks is much higher than the fraction of people wearing masks, so partially adopted, partially effective masks are able to reduce the basic reproduction number surprisingly well.
Discover & explore Mastodon with no ads and no surveillance. Publish anything you want on Mastodon: links, pictures, text, audio & video.